Wednesday, March 16, 2011

ARET Logo Design Competition

Last semester, the third years turned one of our Graphic Communications projects into a competition to raise money for their class trip.

The competition was designing the Department's new logo, which required a model to be submitted. This new logo would be placed on t-shirts to be sold and on title blocks used in AutoDesk software.

I spent a long time conceptualizing what I thought ARET (Architectural and Engineering Technology) meant to me, and in the end I saw it something like this:


Initial Design


Initially, I wanted the logo to appear carved out of "building blocks". The blocks kind of remind me of the grid in AutoCAD, which is very appropriate for this program.



Physical Model

When it came right down to building the model, I decided I didn't need quite so many blocks. I really enjoyed the whole process. The logo letters and blocks even ended up having white trim on the edges once I cut the cardboard, which I hadn't planned on happening, but it worked out quite nicely.

The day of the competition rolled around, and believe or not, I won!

Design in SketchUp


And yesterday, I got my very own t-shirt (for free!)...

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations! AND your own Tshirt! Thank you for your sweet comment on my blog. I really enjoyed looking at your BC photo gallery, What beautiful country.

    Pat

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...